Sunday, March 1, 2009

Destination Aiken

I have just completed a nearly nine hour journey from home in The Plains, Virginia to the winter horsey haven of Aiken, South Carolina for a two week intensive training session and competition schedule, serving as a sabbatical or working holiday of sorts to kick off the 2009 eventing season.  

Setting the stage for what's to follow, I'll introduce this winter's cast of characters. I have three very special horses with me this year.  Below are pictures of them happily settling in to their accommodations here in Aiken this evening. 

Peter Panther, "Pete," is my high school friend Mrs. Audra Spouse's 8 year old Thoroughbred gelding, a former race horse.  He will be competing in his first events in Aiken after an exciting fall fox hunting with the Orange County Hunt.  He has matured physically and emotionally in the last year, and I feel confident that he is ready for his competitive debut. 



"Bumbleberry" is a 5 year old Thoroughbred/Pony Cross owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Keffer (and the Keffer Family).  He is the goofy monkey and also the child prodigy of the Keffer barn in Virginia.  He is an elegant mover and a phenomenal jumper. I adore him, and I am hugely excited about his future. 



Quantum Meruit, aka "Rufus," is Mrs. Brooke Miller's lovely 7 year old Thoroughbred gelding, and he is beginning his third season with me.  He has grown stronger and more confident in the past year, and I am hoping that he will follow in the footsteps of his talented mother "Mouse" as he prepares to move up to the preliminary level this year.  It feels strange to think of him as the "grown up" of the group, and it's a pleasure to start the season with him as my "old" pal.  


Our departure for Aiken was delayed by several weeks, in part due to the present economic situation as well as to my bad left shoulder and to Rufus' sore back and pelvis.  A special thanks to Dr. Sallie Hyman, Dr. Kent Allen, and Dr. Susan Johns for getting Rufus back on track and to the team at Blaser Physical Therapy for patching me together for the trip.  Thanks also to Zeb and Sean our blacksmiths.  Thank you to the Turnquist family for graciously opening their home to me for the duration of my stay in Aiken, to Sally Cousins for sharing her farm and facilities, and to the Keffers for giving me the flexibility to pursue my competitive aspirations.  And most of all thank you to the owners of these delightful horses for allowing me to be a part of their stories!

When you work with horses every day, you can't ask for more than to have horses who make you smile when you walk in to the barn in the morning, and I love this group of horses.  I look forward to sharing our adventures with you and to getting back in the saddle tomorrow!  

Be sure to check back often!

Emily


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, I'm delighted to have this way of accompanying you and your three charmers on your next adventures!
Love to you,
Debbie Kornfield

Anonymous said...

Thanks Emily! How fabulous to be able to share in your experience~ Hugs to Ayla and carrots for the boys! Lori

Anonymous said...

The very best part of life is chasing dreams (followed closely be avoiding East Coast ice/snow storms when towing 3handsome ponies to SC). Your dedication and focus are marvels in themselves; as are your unique and VERY SPECIAL circle of supporters. Have fun, continue to work hard and always make REALLY good choices.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily ,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, hoping we can all return to Ocala next winter - Miss You :)
Kim & Elmer