Thursday, March 5, 2009

Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Bumbleberry says good morning with his pearly whites!

I believe it was Jimmy Wofford who said, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."  Yesterday was a day of applying my lessons from Tuesday to each of the horses.  Rufus practiced his dressage again, and Pete and Bumbleberry used some ideas from their jumping lessons to improve their dressage.  I enjoyed using pieces from each lesson with each horse I rode. They are very distinct and different horses, but I found a lot of overlap in the exercises and techniques I had learned on each one.  It is wonderful to have the footing and the weather to practice consistently and diligently. 

Ayla came by the barn to help (rolling polo wraps below and playing with Albert). 

(Emily and Albert hanging out at the barn)


Liz, Rolf, and Ayla Turnquist and I also spent a few hours yesterday watching the United States Equestrian Team Training Sessions with Captain Mark Philips, which are being held just five minutes down the road.  These are lessons targeting the athletes preparing for international competition, specifically the Olympics and the World Equestrian Games.  We saw the end of Boyd Martin's dressage lesson with Remington as well as Kim Severson with Tipperary Liadhnan and Jan Byyny with Syd Kent.

I always enjoy watching these lessons with the best riders in the country, and I try to watch whenever they are held close by (in Florida or Virginia too).  One of the most interesting things about our sport is that riders compete well into their forties and fifties, and they continue to practice and take lessons throughout their careers. These riders on the training list are still learning.  They are striving day after day to not only practice but to practice perfectly, improving themselves and their horses in the process. I often feel inspired to ride better and practice harder after seeing their examples.  We are going back this morning to watch their jumping lessons. 

I'm off to feed the ponies, but I will write more after taking the boys cross country schooling this afternoon!

Here's the barn aisle at the end of the day yesterday. 


Pete grooming Bumbleberry affectionately in turnout. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the commentary and the photos. MORE of Albert please ...

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily ,
I love seeing all that is going on with you and the boys. Pete & I are driving to Ocala , first of April will you still be in the south ?
Kim